20 March 2007
Eye 63 Contents
Editorial by John L. Walters.
01. Visual contents
02. Critique. Photography. Out of the ordinary. Banal, amateur snapshots become almost poetic in these books by Fiona Tan. By Rick Poynor.
04. Picture. Olympic Games. Time after time. Only the date reminds us that this sports schedule, for the 1972 Munich Olympics, is 35 years old. By Mason Wells.
18. Overview. Creative music design. Reason and rhymes. Can design for contemporary jazz, world and experimental music have a meaningful partnership with the content? By John L. Walters.
32. Polemic. Typography. Inclined to be dull. It may be the world’s most popular sans, but Helvetica has many deficiencies – not least its lack of real italics. By Martin Majoor.
38. Overview. Argentina. Buenos Aires project. Argentina’s dialogue with the pioneers of Modernism gave rise to a graphic design culture that remains fiercely contemporary. By Verónica Devalle and César Sesio.
52. Report. Art and design. Cover version. Artist Ellsworth Kelly’s links to design are demonstrated graphically by two projects. By Alex Coles.
54. Essay. Surrealism: part one. Dark tools of desire. Surrealism’s relationship with graphic design is still strangely unfulfilled. By Rick Poynor.
62. Feature. Good magazine. Like they do give a damn. Strong design, right-on ‘Projects’ and lashings of information porn make this a title that aims high. By Jason A. Tselentis.
73. Uncoated. Monitor (‘Being good’ by Lucienne Roberts). Agenda (Steven Heller). Letters. Reviews. Books received. Colophon.